Laptop Information Page
Here you will find all information pertinent to taking the essay portion of the NC Bar Exam on your laptop computer, rather than writing it by hand. If you feel we have omitted anything, please contact us.
Registration will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Monday May 5, 2014 and will end Thursday, June 12, 2014 at 4:00 p.m. There has been some confusion in the past with what registration means. You must have downloaded the software onto the laptop you will be using at the examination no later than 4:00 p.m. on Thursday June 12, 2014. Even if you currently have ExamSoft on your laptop, you will still need to download the software. The software has the testing parameters for the current bar exam.
You will receive a sign-on and password via email on Friday, May 2, 2014.
Our payment deadline is a June 13, 2014. Payment needs to be received by the this deadline, Friday June 13, 2014. Many of you submitted your payment with your application. You will receive confirmation of payment at the time you download the software. If we have not received payment, you will be notified within a few days of downloading the software. If you submitted your fee with your application, you still need to register your laptop and download the software.
Fee: $125 USD (Non-refundable/Non-transferable)
Please note: due to table size and set up, the Board does not allow the use of an external mouse and keyboard.
It is strongly urged that you remove any old versions of ExamSoft from your laptop. Removing older versions will help prevent delays the morning of the examination. If you have any questions about removing the older versions, please contact ExamSoft at 866-429-8889.
Application to take the FEBRUARY exam on Laptop
Application to take the JULY exam on Laptop
ExamSoft FAQ Page:
ExamSoft registration page:
To participate you must:
· Complete the registration of your laptop during the registration period
· Complete registration includes installing all components of the SofTest software onto your laptop.
· Complete and return a Mock Exam using SofTest.
To use a laptop for the essay examination you must:
· Download and register SofTest onto the computer you will use on exam day (NO EXCEPTIONS)
· Confirm your laptop computer meets the minimum specifications listed below
· Ensure your laptop is configured for access to the Internet
· Complete and return a Mock Exam using SofTest prior to the published registration deadline
· Have experience using computers
· Agree to handwrite your examination in the event of a hardware/software malfunction or power failure.
· Agree to upload your answer file (files) by the deadline imposed by North Carolina.
· Agree to not remove, delete or uninstall SofTest or any SofTest program files until results have been published.