General Application Additional Instructions
- Applicants are responsible for reading the current Rules Governing Admission to the Practice of Law in the State of North Carolina. The Rules can be accessed by using the Rules link on the homepage of the website. Read entire application and instructions carefully before making any entries.
- An Applicant should type, or legibly print his or her answers in black ink.
- An application will not be considered filed and will be returned if:
- The Applicant fail to answer any question or question subpart
- The Applicant does not send in all applicable fees
- Any of the Applicant’s answers are indecipherable
- An Applicant has altered the language of the application
- An Applicant has failed to sign any document requiring the Applicant’s signature
- The Applicant’s signature has not been attested by a notary public
- Please check to see that you fully answered all questions, leaving no blanks.
- Unless otherwise indicated, every question and every part of each question must be answered, even if the answer is negative.
- When giving references requested, please do not list any two persons that are members of the same household, or are listed as employer or supervisor.
- The Certificate of Moral Character Forms should be completed in duplicate by the four individuals listed in the application and mailed directly to the Board’s office by those individuals within thirty (30) days. It is the applicant’s responsibility to furnish the Certificate of Moral Character Forms to those persons whom the applicant wishes to complete them.
- Be certain you have taken and passed, or arranged to take the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination as provided in the Rules.
- The original application must be submitted in double-sided format.
- The following should be attached:
- A certified copy of the Applicant’s birth certificate
- A photograph of Applicant, passport-sized, taken within the past six months stapled to the completed Summary Card
- Both sets of completed fingerprint cards
- If applicable, one copy of Applicant’s DD214 Form
- One copy of application(s) filed by Applicant to take another bar examination or for admission to another bar; and certificates of current standing from any bar or court to which Applicant has been admitted
- One copy of any litigation to which Applicant is or has been a party
- Two original, properly executed Authorization & Release Forms
- Official transcripts sent directly to the Board by all undergraduate schools
- A check or money order made payable to the NORTH CAROLINA BOARD OF LAW EXAMINERS for applicable fees