General Application Instructions
The North Carolina Board of Law Examiners, with the assistance of the National Conference of Bar Examiners, has prepared the application in electronic format (NCBE Online Character and Fitness Application).
Requirements for completion of application:
- Although the Application is an electronic application, applicants must print the completed application and mail it to the Board’s offices, with the required fee and other required forms.
- When the print dialog box pops up, make sure the Page Scaling option is set to “Fit to paper” or “Shrink large pages.” If Page Scaling is not set properly, your Case ID number may not print below the bar code on each page. This Case ID number below the bar code is required for the NCBLE to process your application.
- The original application must be submitted in double-sided format
- The application must be signed and properly notarized, with the handwriting sample completed, and filed in duplicate, the original plus a good photocopy.
- Attachments do not have to be filed in duplicate.
- “Original” means a double-sided copy bearing the applicant’s original handwritten signature plus the original notarization. The Notary must affix the proper seal or stamp, as well as his or her original signature on all documents requiring notarization.
- Applicants are required to submit a new on-line application each time an application is filed. Please do not copy and resubmit a previous application, as it will not be accepted.
- If you have previously filed an application to take the North Carolina bar examination and need to re-file an application, you may access the online application using the sign-on and password you created with your previous application.
- To access the general and/or supplemental application click on the following link:
- For technical support in accessing or using the electronic application, send an email to email@example.com or call 608-280-8550.
- Applicants are responsible for reading the current Rules Governing Admission to the Practice of Law in the State of North Carolina. The Rules can be accessed by using the Rules link on the homepage of the website. Read entire application and instructions carefully before making any entries.
- An Applicant should type, or legibly print his or her answers in black ink.
- An application will not be considered filed and will be returned if:
- The Applicant fail to answer any question or subquestion
- The Applicant does not send in all applicable fees
- Any of the Applicant’s answers are indecipherable
- An Applicant has altered the language of the application
- An Applicant has failed to sign any document requiring the Applicant’s signature
- The Applicant’s signature has not been attested by a notary public
- Please check to see that you fully answered all questions, leaving no blanks.
- Unless otherwise indicated, every question and every part of each question must be answered, even if the answer is negative.
- Applicants who have not been admitted to any jurisdiction must answer all questions in Sections I and III.
- Applicants who have been admitted to a bar in another jurisdiction must complete the answers to all questions in Sections I, II and III.
- When giving references requested in questions 29, 30, 40 and 41, please do not list any two persons that are members of the same household, or are listed as employer or supervisor.
- The Certificate of Moral Character Forms should be completed in duplicate by the four individuals listed under question #33 and mailed directly to the Board’s office by those individuals within thirty (30) days.
- Be certain you have taken and passed, or arranged to take the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination as provided under Rule.O501(6) of the Board’s rule.
- The original application must be submitted in double-sided format.
The following should be attached:
- A certified copy of the Applicant’s birth certificate
- A photograph of Applicant, passport-sized, taken within the past six months stapled to the completed Summary Card
- Two (2) sets of completed fingerprint cards
- To obtain official fingerprint cards, all applicants must submit a written request for said cards to the North Carolina Board of Law Examiners
- Upon receipt of the applicant’s request, the North Carolina Board of Law Examiners will send the applicant two (2) sets of official fingerprint cards and an Authority for Release of Information Form
- Applicants will then need to complete the official fingerprint cards and the Authority for Release of Information Form and return these directly to the North Carolina Board of Law Examiners
- Please DO NOT submit your fingerprint cards to the State Bureau of Investigation
- Please be advised that if your fingerprint cards are submitted directly to the State Bureau of Investigation, by you or by a law enforcement agency, the Department of Public Safety/State Bureau of Investigation will charge a fee of $38.00. You will be required to remit the sum of $38.00 to the North Carolina Board of Law Examiners for this fee.
- If applicable, one copy of Applicant’s DD214 Form
- One copy of application(s) filed by Applicant to take another bar examination or for admission to another bar; and certificates of current standing from any bar or court to which Applicant has been admitted
- One copy of any litigation to which you are or have been a party
- Two original, properly executed Authorization & Release Forms
- Official transcripts sent directly to the Board by all undergraduate schools
- Completed Form 12, if answered “yes” to questions 19A and 19B
- A check or money order made payable to the BOARD OF LAW EXAMINERS for applicable fees